Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Expressway Etiquette

When I started this Blog, I had this in mind as one of my first things to gripe about, but I got busy with other stuff.
Now that the first phase of the US 281 expansion is complete, I thought I'd be happier with the results. Alas, but no! The state was kind enought to widen our thoroughfare to the point you could land a B-52 on it, yet traffic still snarls along like an earthworm on SOMA.
Why? Based on my observations of the unique behavior of the Valley Driver, or VD as I like to call 'em, there are a few sticking points that eat at me every time I see it happen.
First of all, let's at least try to drive the speed limit. It's an expressway! If you don't want to drive that fast, fine, use the frontage road. If your 1987 Grand Marquis P.O.S. can't go the speed limit, you should likewise stick to the surface streets. But, if you must drive slowly on the highway, please for the love of all that is holy, STAY IN THE RIGHT LANE.
Next. The interchange at U.S. 83 in Pharr and the new overpass to Business 281 in Edinburg. Those bridges were engineered for us to travel at a very reasonable speed to keep the flow moving. Some VD have trouble understanding this concept. Trust me when I say that you aren't going to fall off. The vibration caused by your rusted muffler dragging on the pavement is not going to collapse the bridge. Get on. Get moving. And get over it. . .again at or near the speed limit.
And now to the behavior that peeves me to no end. VD has a facination with lollygagging up the entrance ramps to the expressway. The ramps were designed, ingeniously enough, to enable a driver to enter the highway at a speed that is comparable to the traffic already on the freeway, thus making the merge process as painless as possible. What a novel concept! VD however sees it as a way to create as much havoc as possible. VD goes 30 miles per hour up the ramp, then, for whatever reason STOPS! Meanwhile, we sensible operators are forced to take evasive action making the ramp look like that scene in the Return of the Jedi when the rebel ships arrive upon the still shielded Death Star. Fortunately for the rebels though, they could at least go up or down.
What do we do about VD? Sadly, there is no cure for VD. My suggestion is that we hold on to our butts, use the horn efficiently, and left lane it out of there at warp speed.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen! Whenever I go back home to the Valley, I remember why I left! PEOPLE CAN'T DRIVE THERE! Its insane how people don't go at least the speed limit, then drive real slow on the left hand lane!

-AggieGal

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to joke with visitors that here in the Valley you can get your license from a box of cracker jacks; it is no longer a joke. Another area that gets me everyday is the interchange. Why do people not know if they are going east or west before they are 20 feet from the concrete wall? Then they feel the need to change lanes and screw up traffic flow in both lanes for the remainder of the morning.

-A Tire Guy

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home